The property currently known as Northeastern Industrial Park, comprises most of the property of the Former Schenectady Army Depot - Voorheesville Area (former Depot), which was a United States Department of the Army maintenance, distribution, and supply depot from 1941 through 1969. Activities at the Depot involved the receipt, storage, and transmission of goods for the U.S. military during peacetime, as well as during World War II and the Korean War. The former Depot is located in the Town of Guilderland, outside of Albany, New York. Between 1963 and 1969, most of the Depot was sold to private owners with the exception of a small area which was leased to the Defense Logistics Agency (DLA). The DLA uses this area for storage of strategic materials such as ferrochrome, zinc, lead, and aluminum oxide. The DLA-leased property was sold to a private party in May, 2010.
The US Army Corps of Engineers (Corps) is conducting work at the site under the Defense Environmental Restoration Program for Formerly Used Defense Sites (DERP-FUDS). DERP-FUDS is a federal program to investigate and clean up any environmental conditions resulting from the Department of Defense's (DoD's) past activities at installations that have since been transferred to private ownership.
The Corps has conducted several studies at the former Depot, which are available under the “reports” tab.
A Restoration Advisory Board has been formed to facilitate communication and make recommendations to the Corps about activities at the site. The RAB is composed of interested community members, representatives from local and state agencies, and the Corps. The RAB meets as necessary to offer and receive input from the community and the Corps about ongoing activities at the site.
If you have any questions or are interested in joining the Restoration Advisory Board as a volunteer, please contact Mr. Gregory Goepfert at (917) 790-8235.