| Historic image of shells in a facility at the Bethlehem Loading Company. Image courtesy of Atlantic County, NJ.
The former Bethlehem Loading Plant site was constructed for production of artillery ordnance around the time of WWI. The site encompasses approximately 12,947 acres and is located in Mays Landing, New Jersey. The site was under United States military control from approximately Jan. 1, 1918 until Oct. 17, 1922, when the U. S. Government began selling off the excess land in parcels. Most of the site of the actual loading plant and associated facilities are now owned and managed by Atlantic County Park System or are wildlife areas.
The US Army Corps of Engineers (Corps) is conducting work at the site, under the Defense Environmental Restoration Program for Formerly Used Defense Sites (DERP-FUDS). DERP-FUDS is a federal program to investigate and clean up any environmental conditions resulting from the Department of Defense's (DoD's) past activities at installations that have since been transferred to private ownership.
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, in partnership with the state of New Jersey, is currently investigating the potential that hazards may remain from the site's past military use.
If you have any questions or require more information, please contact:
Mr. Ajmal Niaz, Project Manager
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, New York District
Jacob K. Javits Federal Building
26 Federal Plaza, Room 1811
New York, NY 10278