| Engineer School at Fort Totten
The Department of Defense (DoD) acquired Fort Totten, a 146.75 acre property located in Queens, New York, between 1857 and 1943, for the coastal defense of Long Island Sound and the eastern entrance to the East River. Fort Totten also served as a post-Civil War hospital, an engineering school, and a training site for West Point Cadets. The Department of the Army conveyed 9.6 acres of the property to the U.S. Coast Guard, while still retaining ownership of the remaining 137.5 acres. The Formerly Used Defense Site (FUDS) is limited to the excessed portion (9.6 acres) of Fort Totten, presently owned by the U.S. Coast Guard and is located in Congressional District NY-05.
The US Army Corps of Engineers (Corps) is conducting work at the site under the Defense Environmental Restoration Program for Formerly Used Defense Sites (DERP-FUDS). DERP-FUDS is a federal program to investigate and clean up any environmental conditions resulting from the Department of Defense's (DoD's) past activities at installations that have since been transferred to private ownership.
The Corps has conducted studies at the site and the reports generated are are available under the "reports" tab.
For more information about the Corps' remedial activities at Fort Totten, please visit the project's Fact Sheet.
If you have questions about the Corps' remedial activities at Fort Totten, please contact the project manager, Mr. Gregory Goepfert, at (917) 790-8235.