The former Fort Niagara site is located within the town limits of Porter, Niagara County, New York.
The land is publicly owned, and is operated as Fort Niagara State Park.
For more than 300 years, the former Fort Niagara has been used for military purposes based on its strategic location on both Lake Ontario and the Niagara River.
The fort was in used from 1687 to 1964. At different points in time, it was used by the French, the British and the United States.
The fort’s property was used for many purposes over the years including serving as a Colonial military outpost, a museum, an officer training camp, a reception center for draftees, a prisoner of war camp and for Veteran housing.
During its use, munitions were disposed of in the Fort Niagara Offshore Dump Site.
During site investigations, over 100 mostly inert munitions items were found, including intact practice mortar projectiles, mortar fuzes, and grenade dischargers.
Further investigation of the Fort Niagara Offshore Dump Site project area will be conducted, subject to availability of funds.
The US Army Corps of Engineers (Corps) is conducting work at the site under the Defense Environmental Restoration Program for Formerly Used Defense Sites (DERP-FUDS).
To read a fact sheet on the project Click Here.
If you have any questions, please contact Mr. Gregory Goepfert, Project Manager, at (917) 790-8235.