The subject site consists of approximately 1,522 acres and was first used by the U. S. Navy in 1931. Officially Floyd Bennett Field was acquired by the Department of Defense in two parcels, 2 February 1942 and 9 February 1942, by property condemnation. The property was used as a Naval Air station until 1973, at which time the facility was decommissioned and transferred principally to the US Coast Guard and the Department of the Interior (National Park Service). The Navy retained a portion of the southern section of the former FBF. Successive parcel transfers culminated in the 1998 transfer of approximately 70 acres to the Marine Forces Reserve Command (MARFORRES) for continued use as Marine Corps Reserve Training Center (MCRTC) - Brooklyn. All the buildings, underground storage tanks, above-ground storage tanks, drums, containers, and electric transformers inspected for the DERP-FUDS project are located on the NPS property.
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) is conducting work at the site, under the Defense Environmental Restoration Program for Formerly Used Defense Sites (DERP-FUDS). DERP-FUDS is a federal program to investigate and clean up any environmental conditions resulting from the Department of Defense's (DoD's) past activities at installations that have since been transferred to private ownership.
If you have any questions or require more information, please contact:
Mr. Ajmal Niaz, Project Manager
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, New York District
Jacob K. Javits Federal Building
26 Federal Plaza, Room 1811
New York, NY 10278